Tuesday, January 1, 2013

A New Year Begins!


I had planned on taking yesterday, New Year's Eve, off from exercise. However, we decided to go ice skating. The local rink had a special of $5 for the night, including skate rental! All 5 of us went, along with a few of the boys' friends. We had a great time, although I'm sure my muscles will ache tomorrow. By the end, I could barely keep my ankles straight. What a perfect way to end the year - I felt like I was back in PA, but then we stepped out into 60 degrees and I remembered where we were.

We got home by 10, then played a few games and set off some mild fireworks. After watching the ball drop, I was in bed by 1 so I could be up this morning for the first workout of the year! The Y opened at 8AM with a Les Mills body combat class, my favorite! I was surprised how full the class and the Y was. When class was over, I went over to the treadmill and ran my first 2 miles of the year in 20:20.

One of the things I've learned in all my reading about running is that the best way to get injured is to add too many miles too quickly. I'm using Runner's World's Smart Coach app, which is helping me plan my training for the Daytona Half. We have 7 weeks to get ready. According to the app, today was a 2 miler. It was tempting to do more, but I restrained myself. Tomorrow is a day off, so I'll go to the evening body combat class so I'll be ready for Thursday's 5 mile run.

Weekly total: 2 miles
Yearly total: 2 miles

No comments: