Thursday, January 10, 2008

Save a little money, lose a little weight

As part of my New Year's resolution, I have decided to try to walk or bike whenever possible. I figure it will help me burn calories and conserve gas. Luckily for us, Port Orange has sidewalks just about anywhere, and most of the places we go (school, church, library, soccer fields) are within 3 miles. We also want the kids to start walking as part of their training for our trip to Europe this summer. This past weekend, Jonathan walked home from soccer (1 mile!) and the restaurant (2 miles!!!). Today I drove him to school on his bike and will pick him up on foot. It's almost exactly 2 miles from school to our house.

So, being the money miser I am, I just had to know how much money I'm saving on gas. Gas right now is running about $3.15. Our van gets about 16 mpg in the city - nowhere near what the sticker claimed! According to my math, it costs approximately $.20 per mile! That's a dollar every five miles! Crazy, isn't it.

My savings so far this week is $1.20 on Tuesday, when we biked to school and then ran errands; and $1.80 today with our bike/walk plans. I've saved $3.00 in just two days!!! Looks like we'll be doing a lot more of this kind of transportation as long as gas prices stay where they are. Hopefully my waistline will benefit, too.

2 comments:

Jodie Cope, Licensed Acupuncturist and Health Coach said...

Karen, you crack me up. That is just like something Dave would calculate. I love it. Nice work.

Karen and Chris said...

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. I suspect dad would have calculated the exact same thing....