Monday, January 14, 2008

Resolution update, week 2

Pounds lost: 1/2. Something is better than nothing, right? Miles run: 25 Days sore: 3

One of the things missing from my exercise is weight training. It's missing because I hate it. With a passion. But the more I read about physical fitness, the more I see the necessity of weight training. So I emailed my friend Teri and we decided to meet every Friday morning at the Y. This Friday, we spent a little over an hour doing walking lunges, upper body exercises, and abs. Hence the soreness. I'm hoping as we do this regularly it won't hurt so much. The more muscle you have, the higher your metabolism, and the more calories you can eat. My extra calories will definitely all be dark chocolate!

This week I've also discovered a great book. It's called Mindless Eating by Brian Wansink. http://www.amazon.com/Mindless-Eating-More-Than-Think/dp/0553384481/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1200314245&sr=1-1 It's not a diet book, but a psycologist's look at eating and how easy it is to eat too much. At the end of each chapter, he provides suggestions for changing your environment to help prevent this mindless eating. I've already implemented a few of his suggestions. Here's what I've done:
  • Put all of my favorite snacks under the counter. Out of sight, out of mind. Or at least I have to make an effort to eat them.
  • Serve our meals on salad plates, not dinner plates. It still looks like the same amount of food, but it's much less.
  • Use tall, skinny glasses for drinks instead of short, fat glasses. Again, it's all in how it looks.

He suggests making only three small changes at a time. Over the weeks, it will make a difference, and the weight will slowly come off. I'll be waiting to see....

No comments: