Friday, November 28, 2008

Now that's better! Icing that stays put!





This year, I was assigned desserts for Thanksgiving. I was searching for ways to make them (a little) healthier. I consulted my Healthy Cooking magazine and found some recipes to try. Here are the finished products.

  • First, I made pumpkin bread made with whole wheat flour, canola oil, and applesauce. Very moist and tastes almost like pumpkin pie. We ate this with the dinner, and I doubt there is any left. The kids kept snatching it up.
  • I then made two pumpkin pies. One was the traditional pie (with fat free condensed milk) and the other was an apple pumpkin pie. That one by far got the best reviews. I also made one of Grandma's flappys. I was actually going to skip the flappy this year, but the boys begged me to make just one. Pies are hard to get healthy - one thing I did was make my own pie crust with canola oil (not crisco, as in Grandma's recipie). I love this pie crust recipe because you don't have to roll it out - you just press it in the pie plate. Although it has fat and calories, at least it doesn't have any transfat.
  • Lastly, I made a marble bundt cake, partly to prove that I can do a chocolate drizzle. On my first attempt, I accidentally used unsweetened chocolate. Luckily, I tasted it before I poured it on the cake. I quickly discarded that and made a new glaze, this time with the semi-sweet chocolate the recipe requested. The cake was very good, although it was overshadowed by the pumpkin pies. We have enough leftovers for at least 2 more days, so we'll all get a chance to sample the desserts not eaten.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A couple of years ago we got rid of Crisco and replaced it with this:
http://www.spectrumorganics.com/?id=87#j236
It takes a little getting used to, but it isn't partial hydrogenated (which isn't really food anyways.) Kaz switched her pie crust over to this, and it is so good an yummy now. I think I will ask her to make a flappy this weekend.